Opening - Security Technology Manager
About the Opportunity
Reporting to the Senior Director for Global Site Security within the Northeastern University Police Department (NUPD), the Security Technology Manager will be based on the Oakland campus with extensive travel requirements to the West Coast Global Network locations.
Travel to the International and East Coast Global Network locations will also be occasionally required. Travel to additional site locations may be required dependent on university expansion. This position requires a valid U.S. Passport.
The main focus of this position will be daily support of the security technology systems on the Oakland Campus, to include cameras, alarms, access control measures, and other related components. The Security Technology Manager will support the public safety dispatch center and systems, and will also serve as the project lead for security technology related projects.
The Security Technology Manager will also oversee maintenance, expansion, and projects for the security systems located within the West Coast Global Network locations and other locations as needed. This position will work closely with the NUPD Security Technology team, as well as all other functions within the NUPD, to ensure that standing prescriptions and university best practices are being modeled across the network.
The approximate breakdown of responsibilities is as follows:
Project Management (35%)
- Represents the Oakland Campus as a Security Project Manager for any renovations, repairs, or new construction and liaises with Facilities/Design & Construction through regular meetings.
- Coordinates external vendors and conducts project management for installations.
- Conducts site security assessments for both existing and new campus facilities.
- Meets with university departments to provide security technology recommendations and coordination of installation
Daily Case Management (35%)
- Develops and implements effective testing, maintenance, inspection, programming, and upgrading of all security equipment.
- Provide professional IT/IS services and support for all equipment and software within department including computers, servers, telephones and portable radios.
- Manage the development, implementation, testing and maintenance of university security operating systems and hardware including card access, alarms, and CCTV cameras.
- Trains, supports, and provides internal consultation for public safety operational units and personnel.
- Main administrator for all Oakland -based public safety technology systems and servers, including extensive camera and alarm network, emergency phones, and radio infrastructure.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in information technology, homeland security, criminal justice, or a related field
- At least 2 years of commensurate experience, including experience with physical security and/or information technology
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively – to present ideas, both in writing and orally, in an understandable, technical and non-technical manner, with internal and external constituencies
- Ability to effectively instruct and lead training sessions related to security technology
- Valid U.S. Driver’s License and Passport
- Flexible schedule to accommodate travel
- Required to pass a comprehensive background check process
- Exceptional project management skills are required
- Establishing and maintaining interpersonal relationships, both within the university and externally with local, state, and federal partners
- Knowledge of federal, state, and local safety regulations and industry safety standards related to physical security
- Familiarity with the higher education environment, including academic, research, and administrative operations
- Ability to work effectively with faculty, University administrators, government/industrial representatives, and students
- Ability to work with a broad range and diverse population of people
- Strong knowledge of general IP networking and troubleshooting methods for networked security devices
- Familiarity with security technology advancements and new developments in industry standards
- Master’s degree in public safety, informational technology, homeland security, criminal justice, or a related field
- Certifications in physical security or security technology
- Management and/or supervisory experience